I’m a recovering over-achiever who researches, writes, and speaks on how to THINK better, PLAN smarter, and ACT now on what really matters.
I speak 45 times a year either on the main stage teaching my Think, Plan, Act model (last year I had 25 standing ovations) or one of my three workshops (leadership, conflict, time). The rest of my work time is dedicated to helping other speakers grow their business.
Some facts about me
- Co-founded the world’s most exclusive tour company and only private flights to the South Pole.
- Build (or was a partner) in five businesses, including eco-tourism, construction, training and development, and whitewater rafting.
- Selected to present (over 1,000 speeches and counting) to: Telus, Royal Bank of Canada, Fortis, PepsiCo, Shoppers Drug Mart, UBC, Canfor, and Suncor.
- Canadian best-selling author (Give Me a Break—The Art of Making Time Work For You)
- Ultra distance athlete, mountain climber, father, husband
- Presented to faculty at four universities and three colleges
- MBA, CSP (one of 50 Canadian Certified Speaking Professionals), CFP (one of 150 Canadian Certified Facilitation Professionals)
When Hugh Presents, You Win
“Dynamic, engaging, impactful” -Paul Gardner, VP HR, Suncor
From the moment he steps on stage, Hugh grabs an audience with stories, insights, and practical lessons. Not one for fancy theories, or boring lectures, Hugh presents with one objective: to teach how to THINK, PLAN, and ACT better to create EXTRAORDINARY RESULTS in work and life. That’s it.
Typically rated as “best of the event”, Hugh has received STANDING OVATIONS from leading organizations, including: Royal Bank of Canada, Suncor, BC Lottery Corporation, CGA Canada, Investors Group, Envision Credit Union, Imperial Oil, Sun-Rype Products, Food Services America, and four universities.
Watch Hugh in action (2 min)
“His strategies work!” Sandy McIntosh, VP HR, Telus Communications
Event Planner: My best engagements allow me to push the audience, not with motivational quotes, but with solid arguments, a bit of humour, and good-old common sense, well delivered.
That’s when I get standing ovations.
If you have an event that needs a get-them-out-of-their-seats presentation that delivers solid, practical lessons anyone can use, let’s talk.
THINK, PLAN, ACT –
How to Create Extraordinary Results in the Age of Distraction
We live in an Age of Distraction, where interruptions, multi-tasking, email, and To-Do lists distract us from what’s important. Instead of putting in more hours, or having more meetings, we need to Think better, Plan smarter, and Act now to change the course of our results.
Based on his best-selling book, Give Me a Break, Hugh Culver’s keynote Think, Plan, Act is perfect for busy people who want more than another time management lesson.
Consistently voted as “best of the event”, Think, Plan, Act challenges audiences to be more effective at work, in relationships, with their health, and at home.
Motivational, instructional, and challenging, this content-rich keynote is an exciting experience for any audience. Nurses, CEO’s, salespeople, and accountants have all voted with standing ovations to Think, Plan, Act. Will your audience be next?
“You were instrumental in the success of our Conference.” -Hank Oostveen, VP, UNIGLOBE Travel
“…insightful, educational, and entertaining. A perfect high note to end our conference on.” -Vik Kail, HR, Bayer CropScience Canada
What You Will Learn
- THINK – changing your results starts by changing your story (your audience will actually experience this)! This life-changing lesson continues to impact chronic procrastinators, frustrated leaders, and overwhelmed employees.
- PLAN – interruptions are inevitable – poor planning shouldn’t be. Learn how to Plan Like a Pilot and work from a Flight Plan to literally create time for your most important work.
- ACT – exercising the secret power of habits can improve your willpower, resilience, productivity, and your results. You will learn the three parts to any habit and how new rewards can create new habits almost immediately.
Seminars & Breakouts
FACING THE TIGER –
How to Turn any Conflict into Opportunities
In one national study, 82% of our graduates successfully addressed internal work conflict within 30 days of taking this course.
Conflict in relationships is inevitable—broken promises, personality clashes, and insensitive comments can lead to tension — even arguments. This may be a good thing!
Facing the Tiger is a remarkable program that teaches a productive-feedback model designed to strengthen even the toughest relationships. Beginning with a better understanding of Pinches (the source of all conflict), you learn a powerful feedback structure to gain win/win solutions.
This is proven approach that empowers people to take the initiative and turn conflict into opportunities (Facing the Tiger is a licensed program of Dr. John J. Scherer.)
“Not only was Hugh’s presentation inspiring, it was also incredibly funny and emotional. I was so happy I hired him again!” –Lesley Brown, VP, Corporate Canada Western Union Business Solutions
“The response from your presentation was fantastic!!!” –Wade Webb, Broker Owner, Royal LePage
What You Will Learn
- learn the real cost of unresolved Pinches at work
- discover the one reason all conflict starts, and why this matters
- a five-step formula for initiating a productive conversation with your Tigers
- get four communication tools to enhance any difficult conversation
LEADERSHIP TOOLBOX –
How to Engage Followers to Lead
Great leaders are not born – they have learned specific skills that allow them to accomplish great things with people. Leaders that consistently practice these skills can bring the best out of people by engaging them with clear direction and feedback.
The Leadership Toolbox is a foundational program for leaders who want to get work done, enrol staff into a bigger vision and delegate more effectively.
“The time you took to interview and talk with our people really made a big difference!” –Karen Bossin, Director, Shoppers Drug Mart
What You Will Learn
- Model—how we listen, keep promises, and manage our time are small things that create big impact over time. Learn how to identify and get leverage from small changes in your daily leadership.
- Delegate—the art of delegation is not only about getting work down, it’s about developing people. Discover how to turn a task into a development opportunity.
- Communicate—discover how to listen to learn and speak to motivate with eight simple practices you can easily turn into a leadership style.
RECLAIMING THE CLOCK –
Getting More of the Right Stuff Done Every Day
It’s easy to get busy – email, interruptions, meetings, and clutter can keep us busy and distracted from what’s important. Without better systems and habits, “busy” becomes an excuse for missed deadlines, procrastination, needless rushing, and mistakes.
ReClaiming the Clock is an exciting approach to getting more from your
minutes, without making more lists or working faster. This proven model will show you how to create more time for planning, improving systems, reconnecting with staff, and even creative thinking.
Consistently rated as ‘best of the event’, ReClaiming the Clock is the perfect addition to any conference or staff event.
“Brilliant solutions for one of our greatest challenges—making the best of every day.” –Peter Robinson, CEO, The David Suzuki Foundation
What You Will Learn
- The secret of keeping your Boulders rolling.
- How to avoid the Deadly Interruptis Disease.
- Why you need to move from a To Do list to Planning like a Pilot.
- Eight ways to Jump Start your Day – in charge and in control.
- How to adopt the 2 Minute Rule and quickly reduce distractions.
- Get 12 strategies for putting meetings on a diet.
“You taught us little things we can change for the better and you practiced that in your presentation today.” –Roy Martin, Regional Vice President, PepsiCo Foods Canada