Jane Atkinson’s book The Wealthy Speaker 2.0 is considered by many (me included) to be a ‘bible’ for upcoming and savvy speakers.
Jane has earned her stripes in the industry as a bureau VP and engine behind some pretty successful main stage speakers (Joe Calloway, Vince Posente, Peter Legge, and the like).
In this interview I wanted to know what’s changed that we need to know about in the world of event planners, bureaus, and marketing for speakers. Here are just some of the take-a-ways waiting for you.
- Booking times have shrunk. Forget about eight months to plan, bureaus and event planners are calling just weeks before events.
- The good news is the market is recovering and there is lots of work for speakers, both nationally and internationally.
- The market has gotten educated and are looking for more proof of ROI. You have to prove yourself – in advance.
- Big mistake speakers make is they try to do too much and fail to build market trust. You can’t be an expert in customer service, sales, leadership, and food safety!
- Listen for Jane’s “umbrella model” – v. cool for organizing your speaking products to make event planners happy.
- How to get “hot” so that bureaus want you and what to not do with your pricing. Learn about minimum fees, videos, marketing, and building your platform.
- And lots more (you will be taking notes!)
Learn about getting coaching from Jane Atkinson
(Note the skype connection was spotty on this recording. Jane’s voice fades a few times – hang in there it’s worth it)