In this episode I am sharing a little about what to avoid in your planning for 2014 (more about that in this post) and A LOT about what you can do. These show notes are pretty long (sorry), but I think this episode is SO IMPORTANT that I want to do my best to make it really valuable for you.
This past year was a roll coaster for me of lots of keynotes, new launches, long hours struggling to figure out podcasting (that part I loved!), and big trips out of country. I want 2014 to be different.
This is my 56th kick at the can and I don’t want to settle for “better”, “great”, or “successful.” I want spectacular. You?
So, I took a hard look at what does it take to create spectacular goals. I warn you this is like the tough love of goal setting. It made me uncomfortable, pissed off (at what I missed on last year), and damn excited.
In this episode I’m not going to bore you with the specifics about what Hugh is doing this year (maybe more on that in a later post). Instead, I am sharing the process I used. More specifically, the 5 areas that I think we all need to focus on to make that happen. Okay, here they are:
The big idea is you have to start with the end in mind. This is pretty obvious, right? But I want to really encourage you to take lots of time to get clear about what you want to celebrate a year from now. It’s too easy to start making lists. Don’t do that! The list-making will be easy once you have a clear vision of what your year will look like.
1. Create (at least) one scary goal. This past year I toured Cuba with my family for 2 weeks, spent a month in Nepal, launched the website and podcast for Expert’s Enterprise, as well as did live events, keynotes and all the rest of my business. But, the biggest “scary goal” was to shut everything down and go to Nepal with my 15 year old daughter to do some volunteer work. That goal alone motivated my through the second half of the year. What will your big scary goal be for 2014?
2. Make personal goals. There are at least 3 categories I plan for: family, fitness, free. Family time starts with trips, adventures, and holidays. Fitness is to build in 1 hour per day for any activity. I used to compete in Ironman races and then it was all about riding for 5-6 hours. Now, I’m happy with a walk with my wife or my dog, paddling my surf ski, running, skiing, cycling, or doing weights. It doesn’t matter, I just have to be active. Free time is for reading, writing retreats, meditation, playing guitar, and just hanging out with friends.
3. Invest in learning. I can’t say enough about the importance of this one. I’m registered to attend two conferences (World Domination Summit and Social Media Marketing World). Plus I am constantly listening to podcasts, diving into new books, and trying to soak up as much as I can from other experts. What are your learning goals for 2014?
4. Block your calendar. I’m a paper guy. And after all the digital manipulations I like a wall calendar. I block out family time, holidays, bookings and holds for my speaking and then I get creative. I block in time for events, campaigns, retreats, and strategic planning. One thing you might notice is how few days you actually have left in your year. Scarcity thinking is a good motivator to get your ass in gear (technically speaking). Get started by simply printing one sheet on your printer for each month and then taping them on the wall.
5. Build your discipline muscles. Creative people resist this, but it’s actually what they need most. You have to have strong discipline for the regular, mundane, but valuable habits like: writing, exercise, down-time, eating well, taking breaks, and reviewing your goals. I absolutely can guarantee (call me for a free Starbucks card if this doesn’t work – I dare you) that the stronger your discipline the more money you will make and the more you will enjoy your results. Full stop. What will be your new discipline for 2014 – let me know and I’ll support you.
FOCUS with Mike Zipursky is happening or a small group of dedicated entrepreneurs January 23 in beautiful downtown Vancouver, BC.
If you are on the fence and don’t know if your plans for 2014 are the right ones, or you just need a kick in the attitude. Please join us. I want you to be there! Get your information now. (or email us to hold a spot, no obligation).
Resources from this episode:
Here is the slideshare presentation “7 reasons why you plans will fail (and what to do about it).”
Discipline: Watch my video (scroll down to that vid) on Friday 15
Learning: here are two great ways to go even further
1) Get your copy of “Give me a break-the art of making time work for you.” This will give you the tools so you can waste less time and really make your goals happen this year.
2) The Time Freedom Formula program is the perfect way to ramp up your year. This 7 day online training program can change your results, your wealth and your life. All the details are here.
Share the love! www.hughculver.com/love
Subscribe Have you subscribed to Expert’s Enterprise podcast? Click below to get started!
Share a thought
What technology tricks are you using in your business (share so we all can learn)? Add your comment below.